What is Mentor good at? I haven't used their tools recently, but by reputation I think they're strong at
- DFT (FastScan)
- LVS/DRC (Calibre)
- Simulation (former ModelSim)
- Certain pieces of Place & Route (Sierra)
So, does Cadence need some or all of these pieces because they're not strong? That's certainly the case for DFT: Mentor is a leader and Cadence is an also-ran. Or are they just "buying" Mentor's customer base?
UPDATE: Other blog reactions:
- Cool Verification. A verification tools perspective.
- EDA Thoughts. No, honestly -- tell us what you really think of the merger!
- EDA Cafe. Several news releases, including Cadence's own presentation on the deal.
- Sramana Mitra on Strategy. She's been calling for a consolidation in EDA, or some kind of shakeup in the business model. Her post has a good selection of links to her previous writings on the EDA business. This post also has the best comments thread on the topic.